The purpose of the Self-Directed mode of supervision is to allow the educator to work on the professional growth goal in the areas of research, special teaching projects or other approved areas of interest in an inquiry format.
An educator participating in the Self-Directed mode must develop and implement an Independent Professional Learning plan (IPL) according to the following criteria:
- The plan must focus on the development of a particular teaching skill in alignment with the Danielson Framework.
- Educators participating in this mode will be responsible for:
- Identifying an area of improvement based on the Instructional Reflection Tool and/or discussions with your principal
- Locating the link for IPL form on the Forms page of the Teaching & Learning website
- Making a copy of the IPL form with your LAST NAME in the title
- Submitting the IPL form to principal for approval
- Gathering research and planning learning events on the topic
- Completing reflections after each event
- Entering the link to the IPL form as an anecdotal note under Domain 4: Professional Responsibilities in PA-ETEP
- An end of year evaluation meeting will be held between educator and principal to discuss and evaluate the results of the teacher’s work.
Please Note: Educators participating in this mode may be observed on an informal basis by principal or supervisor at any time.