Age Group Coaching Staff and Coaching Philosophy
The Wilson Aquatics Coaching Staff brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the table. This season there will be two head coaches- an 11 & over head coach and a 10 & under head coach. Additional coaches will be working alongside the head coaches to ensure the athletes receive the most attention possible with a focus on stroke improvement and having fun!
2019-20 Wilson Age Group Swimming Staff
11 & OVER HEAD COACH: CHRIS LECHLEITNER: EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
10 & UNDER HEAD COACH: ERIN KURTZ EMAIL: email@example.com
Wilson Age Group Diving
*Additional Coaching Staff will be added to the above list as coaches are confirmed.
Wilson Age Group Swimming & Diving Coaching Philosophy
The Wilson Age Group Coaches believe…..
- a competitive swimming and diving experience for students ages 6 to 14 should be fun with a major emphasis on learning basic fundamentals of the sport.
- sportsmanship values are of main concern. Learning to win humbly and lose gracefully are skills to be learned early.
- the quality of effort and striving to win is important and that winning or losing is not. Through participation in athletics, everyone is already a winner.
- our competitive teams are only one phase of our total comprehensive swim program and no more or less important than other programs.
- our competitive swimming & diving program is a progressive experience, from 8 and under to high school and beyond. Practice and meet experiences should grow from one step to the next. Age group swimming and diving is not an end in itself, it is a means towards an end.
- we should provide fair and equal competition for our young athletes. Since we are first an educational institution, and not a year-round/ high-intensity age group program, we do not believe that our students should compete with or against those who choose that direction.
- students of this age should participate and explore a wide variety of activities and not specialize in one given sport or activity at a young age.
- our athletes should not compete for two or more similar programs during the same season as it is too time-consuming, exerts added pressure on youngsters, and it inevitably forces unneeded choices to be made.
- participation both at practice and at meets is important. Our coaches will try to coach to the best of their ability to keep everyone involved. Each student should at least receive an equal opportunity to succeed.
- teamwork and respect for teammates, opponents, coaches, and officials are imperative. At Wilson, the team is always more important than any individual.
Remember, it is our main concern to make the Wilson Swimming & Diving Program a successful experience for all participants. Swimming is a lifetime sport that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways and is just one facet of a person’s life.