STATEMENT OF THE WILSON SCHOOL DISTRICT & WILSON EDUCATION ASSOCIATION REGARDING CONTRACT RATIFICATION
On January 22, 2018, we jointly announced a Tentative Agreement on a new labor agreement between the Wilson School District Board and members of the Wilson Education Association (WEA). Since then, the Association’s members carefully reviewed and then overwhelmingly ratified the proposed contract.
We are pleased to report that earlier this evening, in a public session, the final ratification steps were taken when the Wilson School Board, after analysis and interaction with its negotiating committee, also endorsed the agreement. The contract was then formally signed by District and Association representatives. Those representatives expressed mutual respect for participants in the collective bargaining process, which resulted in a mutually beneficial agreement that serves the needs of all District stakeholders. They also thanked the community for its support and patience throughout the negotiation process.
Below are highlights of the agreement:
- Four Year Term: July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2021.
- Average raise over contract term: 3.45% per year.
- Healthcare: maintained employee contribution of 13% of premium, plus deductible expenses.
- Extended/additional sick leave benefit removed; replaced with sick day bank utilizing employee contributions.
- Tuition reimbursement: 100% up to Masters then reduced to 50% for approved courses that are not part of a Master’s degree program. Salary advancement for graduate coursework (beyond Master’s degree) reduced from 6 columns to 4.
- Personal days: As of July, 2018 all teachers with 15 or more years of service will receive 3 personal days per year; all other teachers will receive 2 personal days per year.
- Provides increases in hourly compensation rates for certain extra teaching duties.
- Adds compensation plan for teachers that participate in trainings and conferences outside the regular school year.
To review the full contract terms, please visit the District here.