Welcome to the Whitfield School Counseling Department!
Wilson School District Mission Statement
Empowering Our Students to Create Their Own FutureView the Whitfield Counseling Website
Elementary School Counselors implement effective classroom guidance focusing on understanding of self and others; coping strategies; peer relationships and effective social skills; communication, problem-solving, decision-making, conflict resolution; and study skills, career awareness and the world of work; and substance education.
- Provide individual and small group counseling dealing with self-image, personal adjustment, family issues, interpersonal concerns, academic development, and behavior modification.
- Provide assessments by helping students identify their skills, abilities, achievements, and interests as well as interpretation of standardized tests.
- Work with specialized populations and needs that require special attention.
- Develop students’ career awareness as a lifelong process.
- Coordinate school and community resources, and school-wide guidance related activities.
- Provide consultation with school staff members and outside agencies and social services concerning the welfare of the students.
- Make appropriate referrals for special services for students and families within the school and community.
- Communicate and exchange information with parents/guardians by way of conferences, parent workshops and newsletters.
- Participate as member of the school improvement and interdisciplinary teams.