On August 31, 2020 the USDA announced that the waivers that allow schools to serve ALL children meals for free, regardless of their income, will be continued through December 31, 2020. This new announcement is designed to ensure that families are supported with nutritious meals amid the pandemic.
What this new announcement means for the Wilson School District is that, effective immediately, ALL of our students (regardless of income),are able to receive free breakfast and lunch on any day that school is in session.
Here are some specific details regarding how this impacts your child(ren):
- All students can receive a full breakfast AND full lunch for free regardless of income or grade level.
- Only one full meal at both breakfast and lunch will be offered for free. If students choose to purchase a la carte items or additional meals (meaning double lunch!), those items will be charged to their food service account.
- Student meals will still be recorded through our POS system so that we can check for allergies and other important notations in their food services account.
- Students will access breakfast and lunch in the same manner they have since the start of the school year.
- Families that are using our weekly pick up site at Cornwall Terrace Elementary School can continue to pick up 5 days of breakfast and lunch on Wednesday mornings from 7:00-7:45 am. We request that families sign up using this form to receive these free meals so we can plan accordingly.
- We have begun to offer hot foods during lunch at the secondary level and will be introducing hot foods at the elementary schools beginning the week of September 21. We are continuing to expand our menu offering and you can check out what we are serving by visiting our Food Service Department website.
- We encourage families to continue filling out applications for free and reduced lunch as these new waivers expire December 31st, 2020.
We encourage families to take advantage of this benefit, provided by the USDA, for ALL students to receive free meals through December, 2020. Our Food Service Team is excited to serve your children healthy and tasty meals this school year.