My name is Mrs. Jakubowicz (pronounced Jack-“a bow”-wits), and students call me Mrs. J. I’m the teacher-librarian at the Spring Ridge Elementary School Library.
- Library Website
- Login to MackinVIA to access eBooks and databases
- Destiny Online Catalog to search for print books in our library
Experience and Education
I have been teaching research and information skills to students for over 10 years, all of them in the Wilson School District. Some of the topics I teach are:
- Book care,
- Using the library resources (both digital and print),
- Evaluating resources and websites,
- Reading to answer a question or find a piece of information, and
- Citing sources where students find an answer to a question.
We also have a makerspace embedded in our library program. Students who show mastery of research skills can explore, create, build, and problem solve using hands-on materials, electronics, and computer code.
I attended Messiah College and the University of Pittsburgh, and I have a Master’s of Library and Information Science (M.L.I.S.) degree with a K-12 Library Science teaching certificate. I’ve also completed the PDE Online Teaching Endorsement through Millersville University.
Family and Hobbies
When I’m at home, I enjoy spending time with my husband Chris, my daughter, and my family & friends. I also love cats, and we have one named Laney. On weekends and in the summer, I can often be found growing vegetables, berries, and flowers in my backyard garden.
- Master of Library and Information Science (M.L.I.S.), Library Science (K-12) - University of Pittsburgh
- Online Teaching Endorsement, Online Teaching - Millersville University
- B. S. in Education, Elementary Education (K-6) - Messiah College
- Research skills
- Information fluency
- Media fluency