Southern Middle School PTO Committees
- Membership/Volunteer organizer– Julie Cavanaugh
This committee is responsible for creating a data base of people who have joined the PTO. They also handle calling volunteers for the different activities we do each month.
- Bulldog Cafe (one day a month after school) – Kelly Knouse & Kim Palmatier
This committee provides snacks, free of charge, to the students at Southern each month. The snacks are given at the doors closest to the gym. The students should listen to announcements to know when the Bulldog Cafe will be open.
- BOSS Breakfast/Teacher appreciation (4x a year- quarterly) – Kelly Navarro
This committee purchases and sets up the BOSS breakfast each month. The SMS staff selects 12 students and they are recognized at a special breakfast. The PTO provides the food.
- Spirit Wear (sort & help w/pre-orders- twice a year) – Heather Murray
This committee is responsible for getting the orders prepared and ordered for the students and staff. We would like to hold this sale twice a year. We also want to have spirit wear available for various functions throughout the year.
- Vera Bradley Bingo ( event in Feb., planning starts in Nov.) –
This committee is responsible for organizing the bingo held each February. This involves making phone calls, soliciting businesses for door prizes, and renting equipment for the evening. Many volunteers are needed for this committee.
- Fundraising (monthly) School wide events – Heather Murray
This committee is responsible for organizing events for the PTO to raise money outside of the school. This might include local restaurant nights or larger fundraisers. This also includes writing for grants if we have larger fundraising we need to do
- Book Fair ( Sept & March) – Kim Palmatier & Kelly Knouse
This committee helps to get volunteers to sit at the book fair during the school day so students can purchase books. We are also interested in hosting a family night during this week.
- Box Tops (help with counting monthly) – Kelly Navarro
Counting and keeping track of box tops handed in by students. We are currently working on an incentive for students and classrooms to encourage the students to participate.
- End of Year Party (May)- Open Chairperson and volunteers needed
Planning and organizing volunteers, food and entertainment for eighth graders.
- Misc. ( baking, lending a hand at various events when needed) – Volunteers Needed
Anyone who is willing to help, but cannot help out during the school day. We always need volunteers and will make sure we use you to whatever capacity you are available. We have many opportunities for you.
- Field day (June) Chairperson needed
Coordinate volunteers for PTO snacks and any other events that may need volunteers.