We are now using a new math series called EnVision Math Common Core Program. We will be learning the following concepts.
- Topic 1: Numeration
- Topic 2: Number Sense/ Addition and Subtraction
- Topic 3: Using Place Value
- Topic 4: Meanings of Multiplication
- Topic 5: Multiplication Facts/Using Patterns
- Topic 6: Multiplication Facts Usage
- Topic 7: Meanings of Division
- Topic 8: Division Facts
- Topic 9: Fractions
- Topic 10: Fraction Comparison and Equivalence
- Topic 11: Two Dimensional Shapes and Their Attributes
- Topic 12: Time
- Topic 13: Perimeter
- Topic 14: Area
- Topic 15: Liquid Volume and Mass
- Topic 16: Data
We are currently using Treasures as our Reading series. The publisher is Macmillan/McGraw-Hill. Each weekly story follows a theme. The Reading program is very thorough and includes a read-aloud component, a vocabulary text, and a main selection. The selections vary between fiction and non-fiction passages. Treasures also includes instruction on writing styles, including personal narrative, friendly letters, and persuasive writing. Grammar lessons focus on parts of speech, mechanics, and sentence structure.
Weekly lists are given using words from the Treasures program. Each list has a particular spelling pattern, as well as review and challenge words. We will also be using a word wall in third grade to help us when writing.
We are using the Writing Pathways Series written by Lucy Calkins.
- First Quarter: Narrative
- Second Quarter: Informational
- Third Quarter: Opinion/Persuasive
- Fourth Quarter: Fairy Tales
We will have a Social Studies unit in the first and third quarters. Our text is entitled Our Communities. Topics studied include:
- Geography/Map Skills
- History (Colonial America and Jamestown)
We will have a science unit in the second and fourth quarters. Our first unit is called Chemical Tests. Our second unit is called Plant Growth and Development.