UPDATE: 2/24/23 at 1:45 pm
As a follow-up to our previous communications, we would like to share additional information with the Wilson Community. First, I would like to commend the students and staff at the High School and Whitfield Elementary School. We plan for the possibility of school threats, and today, we are thankful our processes allowed law enforcement officers to ensure everyone’s safety as quickly as possible. We safely released all high school students by 11:00 am, which allowed the investigation to continue expeditiously.
Here is what we currently know:
- Spring Township Police Department received a call at 8:30 am on the 10-digit, non-emergency line stating that there was a shooting at the high school campus.
- Police were dispatched to the school at 8:32 am.
- Spring Township Police reported to the High School at 8:36 am and began to sweep the high school. The school was simultaneously placed on lockdown due to a possible threat inside the school. Whitfield was placed into a lockout due to a possible outside threat.
- Police secured the perimeter of the campus and began sweeping the school. After completing the initial sweep, they conducted a second, more thorough search and determined the school was clear.
- Students began to be dismissed from the high school at 10:00 am to allow our staff to debrief and the investigation to continue. Whitfield Elementary School resumed its traditional school day.
- At this time, law enforcement is continuing its investigation to determine the call’s origin. We do know that other school districts throughout the region received similar calls throughout the day today. It is believed that what happened today at Wilson is what is referred to as “swatting.” Swatting is a form of prank in which individuals contact local police departments to report a shooting or other violent incident which did not occur to generate a police response.
We will continue to partner with all involved police departments and follow up with our community if additional information is found.
UPDATE 2/24/23 at 10:00 am:
We have received an update from the police that the building is clear. Due to the significant presence of police on our High School Campus, the need to continue the investigation, and the emotional impact on our kids and staff, we will dismiss all high school students beginning at 10:00 am. Buses will be on-site, and bus riders will be dismissed at 10:00 am, bus by bus. After the buses depart, walkers, drivers, and riders will be dismissed. We will maintain a heavy police presence on the campus until all kids are released from the property. Dr. Weber sent a communication to the parents of High School students regarding dismissal procedures.
Whitfield Elementary School has resumed its school day and will dismiss at the regular time.
Thank you to our students, staff, and families for supporting our investigatory process, remaining calm, and allowing the teams of police officers to do their essential work.
We will be back in touch as the investigation continues.
UPDATE 2/24/23 at 9:18 am
The Spring Township police received a report this morning that there was a shooting a Wilson High School and immediately responded and searched our school along with the State Police. We placed both Wilson High School and Whitfield Elementary school on lockdown in place, and the police are continuing to sweep our campus.
The first sweep of the buildings was clear. At this time, police are breaking into groups and conducting a more thorough and detailed search of the buildings and surrounding areas. Kids remain in their classrooms with their first-period teachers. This message will be updated as more information becomes available.