Spring time is quickly approaching. That means field trip season is around the corner, and anyone interested in chaperoning a field trip must have current clearances on file in the office. Because it can take from 10 minutes to 6 weeks to receive your clearances, now is the time to make sure they are done.
What are clearances?
Clearances are mandatory background checks required by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) for anyone who may have direct, unsupervised contact with students.
Activities that REQUIRE clearances/paperwork:
- Chaperone or attend a class/field trip (i.e. Education Day with the Fightins’)
- Assist a teacher in the classroom on a regular basis
- Watch D.O.G.S. program participation
- Volunteer to run a classroom party
- Volunteer to help students in the cafeteria
Activities that DO NOT require clearances/paperwork:
- Attend a classroom party
- Eat lunch with your child
- Participate in PTO events
How often am I required to submit new clearance requests?
Clearances must be updated every 5 years from the date of request.
What is the cost to request my clearances?
As long as you select “volunteer” as the reason for these requests, there is no cost or fee. They are FREE to you.
What can I do if my clearances don’t return on time?
Give yourself a few weeks to complete and submit your clearances, especially if you do so by snail mail or if there is no previous documentation on file indicating you have lived in PA for 10 years consecutively and need to complete the FBI Criminal Clearance Form to get fingerprinted. These steps take time! You may check with the office staff to see if you are eligible to complete and submit a Wilson School District School Volunteer Disclosure Statement. By completing and submitting this form, you, in short, declare you have submitted all clearance requests and are waiting for results; you have not committed/participated in criminal behavior; and you will submit your clearances within 30 days.
Important Note: The district will only allow a volunteer the opportunity to submit the disclosure form one time, regardless of the number of children you have in the district or buildings in which your children attend.
What clearances/paperwork must I complete, if required?
- Act 34 – PA Criminal Background Check
- Act 151 – PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- FBI Criminal Clearance Form (Act 114) Service Code: 1Kg6XN
- Wilson School District Volunteer Acknowledgement
Where can I get help to complete all of these background checks?
- Visit Mrs. VanOstenbridge’s website for step-by-step downloadable instructions on how to complete each background check.
- For help understanding how to complete each of these 3 state and federal required pieces of documentation, visit “Volunteer Information” from the district or CT websites. It is located here :
- www.wilsonsd.org > Resources > Parent Resources > Volunteer Information
Please contact Mrs. Pamela VanOstenbridge with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.